Tuesday 4 September 2018

MamaPut



MAMA PUT

                                  Add more rice
                                  My appetite exceeds
                                  My ability to pay

                                  Do it for humanity
                                  Do it for your country
                                  For whatever reasons you may find
                                  But please Mama Put

                                  The  physicians took my wages
                                  They diagnosed malnutrition
                                  They kicked me out hungrier
                                  And so I am at your mercy
                                  Use your good offices
                                  I beg, Mama put
                                  Some spoonfuls on that mole hill
                                  And make it a mountain

                                  Remember my friends
                                  Your favourite customers
                                  If I stop coming here
                                  They will go with me
                                  I don’t mean to threaten
                                  But of starvation, I’m frightened
                                  So mama add more Jollof and a bit of
                                  stewed beef  
             
                                  Your mouth like Mama Put
                                  This is business
                                  Not charity
                                  This buka you see
                                  Is my pension and savings plan
                                  Has trained three Graduates
                                  And buried 2 in-laws
                                  So eat what you can afford
                                  Make up the rest with water
                                  For that’s the only thing
                                  That this Mama will Put.


                                  September 2001 – Babawilly



Dr Wilson Orhiunu
My Time 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment